How to access support at home

Receiving support at home isn’t a loss of your independence. Often, it’s what helps older Queenslanders maintain their independence and stay in their home longer.

How you, or your loved one, access and pay for home care (also known as help at home, support at home or home assistance) will depend on your situation. The levels of care vary from entry level care, such as help with housework, through to more complex care needs including wound care and complex health conditions.

We have broken down the steps to accessing home care below.

What are the options?

There are four ways to pay for support at home:

  • Government support through the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) 
  • Government support through a Home Care Package (HCP) 
  • Government support through Short-Term Restorative Care (STRC)
  • Fee for service

Anglicare Southern Queensland is a registered service provider for the Commonwealth Home Support Program, Home Care Packages and Short-Term Restorative Care, and can also provide care under a fee-for-service arrangement.

Eligibility for government support

You may be eligible for government support once you turn 65, or 50 if you identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person. My Aged Care is the first point of contact for all Australians who hope to access government-funded, government-regulated aged care services.  

Step 1. Contact My Aged Care by calling 1800 200 422 to find out which government support is most appropriate for your situation.
Step 2. If you are calling My Aged Care for the first time, you will need to complete a quick registration over the phone. Make sure you have your Medicare card with you.

I am eligible for government funding – what now?

Following the My Aged Care phone screening, they may arrange for an assessor from the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) to visit you at home. They can approve specific services (CHSP) or recommend a further comprehensive assessment for potential HCP approval based on your needs. If you have a preferred service provider, let the assessor know. They’ll send the referral if your chosen provider has capacity.


Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP)

This service is for ageing Australians needing a lower level of care or temporary assistance with daily tasks, such as housework, to continue living safely and independently at home. This service is not income tested. The cost of CHSP services is partly funded by the Government with clients paying a small out-of-pocket co-contribution.

Once you’ve been assessed, you can contact our friendly team on 1300 610 610 to start arranging services.

Home Care Package (HCP)

A Home Care Package (HCP) offers a coordinated solution for those requiring assistance at home, especially if the need involves support with numerous daily tasks or if a more complex and intensive level of care is necessary. Upon HCP approval, you may wait 1 to 6 months for funding. The assessor may grant interim CHSP service approvals during this period. 

There are four levels of care under the Home Care Packages, and a maximum subsidy available on each. See My Aged Care for current HCP subsidy rates for different levels. 

HCP funding is income tested. Depending on your annual household income, an income assessment may need to be completed with Services Australia to determine if you need to contribute out-of-pocket to your HCP budget, and if so, the amount required. If you receive a full age pension from Services Australia, the income assessment is not required. 

Once you’ve been assessed, you can contact our friendly team on 1300 610 610 to start arranging services. 

Short-Term Restorative Care (STRC)

Short-Term Restorative Care (STRC) is available to clients in need of short-term care, or additional care in the short-term, for example, clients recovering from a surgery for up to eight weeks, to help you reverse or slow the difficulties you may have with everyday tasks. This type of care can also delay the need for long-term care and support services. Your Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) may give you approval to access this while you wait for your Home Care Package to be assigned. 

The types of services provided through STRC will be guided by a clinician’s assessment, so that your individual medical needs are met. These needs will be different for everyone.  

Read more about STRC costs. 

Once you’ve been assessed, you can contact our friendly team on 1300 610 610  or fill out our contact form to start arranging services. 


I’m not eligible for government support or I’m waiting for my funding to start – can I still access services?  

If you want to start accessing home care services while you wait for your government-funding to commence, you can consider privately funding services, often referred to as fee-for-service. You may also consider this option if your assessment found that you are ineligible for government support, or if you want additional services that are outside your government-funded package. 


We are here to support you 

Whether you want to go through government funding or privately, by calling us on 1300 610 610, we can support you through the process of applying for, and organising, home care services. We can assist you to register with My Aged Care for an Aged Care Assessment. This is the first step to receiving a home care package. 

Once you have been visited by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), our team will work with you to understand and arrange the services you need to help you maintain your independence at home.  

You can contact us for a free, confidential, no-obligation discussion by calling 1300 610 610 or completing this online form.  

Contact us today about help at home support